Monday, November 9, 2009

Pike's Peak or Bust! October 14, 2009

Headin' back down the mountain...



I'm pretty sure this is as high up as we've ever been...not sure what mile marker we are at on the road up to Pike's Peak...high enough to make this cat woozy.


We didn't want to unstrap Molly, for fear that she would plummet over the side...


these next 2 pix are the same lake from the pic down below, which was taken at Mile 10 of Pike's Peak...so stinkin' cool to be up in a mountain. I can say that now that I'm down. Heights + Laurie = Yikes. It is hard not to stand in amazement when you are up there.


Lake


same lake from up above, but at a higher elevation. The dirt roads were slightly treacherous...I can't believe how much I DON'T like heights. wow.


Of course, this was as high as we could go...Actually Mile 11 is where the ranger would stop you and say NO FURTHER PLEASE...it was uber windy that day and there was snow...so they only allowed guests that far. And yeah, they were right, even at Mile 10, it was a different, colder wind, very skeery to this land urchin.



Most of the brood at Mile 10. ok we can go now.





Lookit that snow. we acted as if we'd never seen the stuff before.



Nuff said...yikes.







going up, up, up...it was so neat to see all the different landscapes that peppered the mountainside. We were also hoping to see some amazing wildlife, but alas....only crazed truck drivers and weary fellow climbers...







Melanie suffered slightly from elevation sickness. I think it affected the girls in our family more than the boys...hard to tell, they are always rather obstinate....and yes, the girls are way more adjusted and sweet. ha ha. I joke. but on the day of our Pike's visit, Mel was suffering. If you'll remember, I sat out the 650 ft. trip up the St. Louis Arch for her...and when she started showing signs of wimping out of this, I got cranky. er. on the way to Pike's Peak Highway, Mel acted like she was going to hurl. I asked David, rather gruffly, to pull over by the cutesy little covered wagon so Mel and I could have a "chat", take a pic etc. No sooner did we get over there, she proceeds to do the aforementioned action that I will not mention again. When finished, she stood up like a pro and smiled for the camera. Isn't she a trooper? I really do thank the Lord for such a well-adjusted girl. She is a rarity. and she will remember this picture and moment in time forever. like I'd let her forget...."Remember Pike's Peak"



on the road up to the PP Highway...right after the cute little town of Manitou Springs, which I really wished we'd gone back to visit...



Amazing. I think I could live in Colorado Springs...

Happy Monday to you! I am slowly getting caught up on our westward trip....

This past weekend, we finally celebrated Will, Dad, and Levi's birthdays with a dinner at Vito Provolone's and cake and gifts here at the homestead. Those pix will have to wait for a minute.

No comments: